I Forgot

I forgot how to write.

It didn’t matter that I was a writer. Or that I was a blogger. Or that I did not lack inspiration; nor motivation for that matter. I had forgotten how to write and that was that.

Countless times, I was sat in front of the computer and toyed with the keys. Caressed them till they were warm with the touch of my fingers. Rested my palms atop them and watched gibberish spew unto the screen; no deliberate words ever amongst the gibberish. Sometimes, following the gibberish, a few words which bore some meaning or other would slip out. They would glitter and sparkle with potential and my mind would toy with what to make of/from them. And before my very eyes, said sparkle and glitter would fizzle out, leaving nothing but a dull ache where the potential once was.

Back space.

Many-a-time, I would flick open my twitter app and scroll through the timeline. I would find something to laugh about and begin to RT it, adding a big, fat “Lol”. Then I would catch myself and hit delete. I would lurk in the shadows imagining brilliant commentary for ongoing bants, and then never allow the comment beyond the realm of my imagination. I would stalk my crush(es) and then close their tabs without so much as a little flirting. I’d refuse to reply tweets or DMs directed at me. And many rants would go unranted upon…

Because I’d forgotten how to write…

And a deadline I committed to had passed. And the person to whom the commitment was made is the person whose tweet I would have loved to Lol, but couldn’t. And the rant I would have loved to rant was about having forgotten how to write… but a tweet is written, is it not? How then do I justify said rant to them upon the TL?

I’m writing this piece because I have forgotten how to write.

The irony of writing and the inability to do so is that there is one sort-of widely-known solution: Write either way. So that is what I am doing now… writing either way. For you must know, that even though these are not the words I mean to write, words must be written. And perhaps if I am unable to write the words I wish to, writing these would help pave the way for the ones I hope to write. Yes?

Well, that’s what they say.

I wrote this piece to remind myself how to write.

36 comments on “I Forgot

1. Ebun Oluwole says:

Sigh. You’ll be fine.

2. yenekeap says:

Writers without blocks are frauds.
    Or beginners.

Yep, I said it.

You?
    Verified.

3. I totally GET this. Been thinking about how to get back to writing and blogging. No worry, it will come back to you. This is a start.

4. Temitoria says:

Nice move, I was in that situation too but I just wrote and now I’m doing the best I can. For Twitter, I just observe every time, still don’t know how to write there… Nice piece, could relate.

You’re still foolish anyway. If you like, write or not…yup still foolish.

6. blessang says:

This encapsulates how I feel sometimes so well… that’s why I draw

7. highlandblue says:

I was here last year August. I don’t think it’s possible to forget how to write. Perhaps your standards are higher or some personal loss has dulled your passion

8. zifahblogs says:

Good to hear from you again, bro.

9. KerryTosan says:

This happened to me. I wrote my first post in while this week..

10. THIS!!

this is exactly where I’m at. I’ve been told to pick up at pen & just write….but I get tired of staring at blank page

and in case I haven’t mentioned it lately, you write beautifully

We haven’t spoken in ages though. I’d ask why you’ve been of twitter but I realise how hypocritical that would read… ( ._.)

11. […] is like Olatoxic said in this here post, I Forgot, I just forgot how to […]

12. onyekaononye says:

For someone who has forgotten how to write, you sure make writer’s block sound good…cosign to all those who have Scribe’s fever, i just recovered hope you all do too.

13. Sigh…this is me right now. Two years since my last blog post. It even hurts to think about it. Thought I’d lost my password, decided to find out and realized it still works. Then I saw this post in my feed. What they say about signs…

14. bharyour says:

Reblogged this on Agbólóhùn and commented:
    I like this type of “writer’s block”

15. bharyour says:

I like this type of “writer’s block”

16. rhaiharnah says:

This is me. Everyday for the past months.

Tell me, did Writing to remind the pen work?

Its funny how I resonate with this… Funnier that you wrote it on my birthday..

17. cerebrallysaturated says:

Thank You, Thank you very much, and Thank you again.
    Write, I want to; write, I need to; and write, I shall

18. I can relate 😦 . I forgot how to write too. Hopefully I would remember it all in 2015…hopefully