I picked today because I had hoped that by the time I sat (or laid) down to write this, something would have happened.
It’s funny because I’d told myself if, for some reason, it didn’t come through, I wouldn’t do this. But here I am, typing away, clickity clack, clickity clack. It’s actually a really annoying sound, but whatever. Things always seem to work out for me one way or the other. I’ve come to realize this after several rather disappointing tantrums and even more incidents of very unnecessary wallowing.
This is year:
– I’m going to graduate. Finally. Like, that’s the most important thing right now. If you remember nothing else from this post, remember this. I did it. And when I climb that hideously decorated podium in that oversize gown and stand in front of the hundreds of people I never want to see again, I will know that I have finished something. Feel free to start planning my graduation party. I’m accepting gifts in cash and kind only. Holla for account details.
– I will travel. I mean, of course I’m going to travel from my school back to my mother’s house. But that’s not what I mean. I want to go somewhere I’ve never been before. Something like that guy on food channel that just goes to random places eating all sorts of food. That’s what I want to do. Maybe not go from city to city like that, but I should at least be able to eat in like ten restaurants minimum of whatever city I’m in. In fact, scratch what I said about gifts in the last point. Send me money to travel. That’s what I want.
– I will take my writing seriously again. I know I’ve promised time and again. I’ve run out of excuses myself. But to show I’m really turning a new (old) leaf this time, I have taken a few baby steps -> albimazing.tumblr.com <-(been seeing people advertising here, so I figured “why not?” ^_^). There’s nothing there yet, but there will be. Nothing huge; just shorts and stuff so you know I’m serious. I would love to jump back into writing full length short stores, but my creative juices seem to be on ice. I’m working though. You’ll see.
– I’m considering a move. To Lagos (of all places, I know). Nothing is certain yet. There’s still a lot to think about – Work, accommodation, Ayo – but it’s been a serious thought for a while now. It all depends mostly on what happens after graduation; will I serve? Will I jump right into pursuing a second degree? Will I find a rich man and become a kept woman? Hopefully, things will fall into place and I and make a decision soon enough.
– I’m overcoming this shyness of a thing. Slowly but surely. Over the holidays, I met so many amazing people and interacted and actually had fun in REAL LIFE. Usually, I just sit and stare at people and imagine interactions with them. It’s hard. I still have to countdown in my head before actually talking to people, but it’s progress. I know everyone is always like “no new friends”, and my present friends are the greatest (I love all of you pieces), but me thinks it’s time to branch out a little. Step out of my comfort zone, and what-not.
– I’m learning a new skill or two. I’m always thinking to myself how it would be nice to be able to draw or sew or something. This year, I’m finally going to have time to dedicate to learning a new skill. I hate the way it constantly eats away at me, making me feel less than content with myself. I don’t know which I’ll learn first, but I will sha learn it. Oh! Does improving skills I already have count? I think it does.
– I’m going to love again. Did you really think I would leave this out? LOL! Come on! What is a new year without resolving to love? Last year, I said I would learn to love myself, and I can’t say that I did. I did however, establish a newfound level of respect for myself, and that’s kind of the same thing. So, my heart is once again open to the general public, come one, come all. Because I’m happiest when I’m making other people happy and I’m finally okay with that, consequences and all.
My story is becoming plenty. If I finish it here, what will I now write on my blog? The long and short is, this year may not have started out the way I’d wanted it to, but I’m here and I know in the bumbum of my heart that there’s a whole lot of greatness just waiting to happen. I feel like everything I’ve been through recently has prepared me for what’s coming. And even if I’m wrong (I’m almost never wrong), I have the best support group in the entire world. I would love to drop some faux deep quote here right about now, but I’m on a roll and I can’t break to google.
Happy New Year! I pray all your dreams come true for you, and you achieve several levels of greatness only preconceived in your wildest imaginations.
Peace, Love & Ribena.