You know how my life in this 2016 has been? It’s like back in the day when your dad would be tying the laces of his shoes in the morning and giving you instructions — sweep the domot, remember to call the electrician to fix the big fan in the parlor, and wash the second car — and when he leaves you swear you’re only going to see one episode of Dexter’s Lab. You’re lying there, sprawled on the yellow cushion — you swear the TV was on for five minutes, tops! — but evening don reach and your father is jamming the horn outside.
You just have to paraphrase Jesus, scream ‘it is finished!’ and promptly die. Where did the time go?!
Christ, where did January to June even go? I swear I kept those months ontop this table just now now now…
How can you be sure, with a fair degree of certainty, that you aren’t wasting your life so far? I’ve been asking myself that a lot lately. The corollary to that, of course is this: is ‘purpose’ one of those concepts defined by man to force a sense of meaning into his existence? Because if that is the case, then we are all doing just fine -we weren’t meant to do anything anyway, and mama look at all that we did!
Previously on olatoxic:
I listed 7 things — boyyyy was I impressively specific in the itemization!— that I hope to achieve in this year. In the middle of 2016, I can confidently say that I have achieved very little.
Come with me.
- I am only slightly better at programming that I was in, say, December 2015. On the plus side, I am a lot better at coordinating a programming project. That’s a half-win, I guess.
- I did collaborate with some creative people to launch an anthology tentatively titled ‘Chorus Insane’ — (date of release undefined) — so I guess I quasi-nailed it. It’s a dystopian-themed piece if you’re into that sort of thing. Who here likes 1984? Show of hands?
- I created obaranda.com — an experimental comic website that should explode into something bigger. Since then, I have been invited to speak at the Comic Con in September and I am now part of a team that should drop full-fledged paperback comicbooks in 2017. Yay. I also launched another product (under wraps because I am incredibly neurotic and I am afraid of a miscarriage) that, if I can spare the time for it, should be a thing of pride in months to come.
- I have a book publishing contract somewhere in my inbox — now for the actual writing. I am getting increasingly lethargic as far as creative writing is concerned. One day I hope to run (preferably nude, with all my appendages slapping wetly against my suspiciously oiled body) daintily across a field of crushed roses into the arms of my first love, Abimbola.
Then after that into the arms of writing.
5. I had to pause plans for a second degree for personal reasons. (LOL nothing serious — the dollar rate sat by my bedside one night and just said ‘LOL’ then walked off into the darkness, never to be seen again.)
6. I earn money on the side every now and then, but nothing consistent — apart from my regular salary, that is. But I am happy. I give God the praise.
7. I have truncated plans to do animations until such a time as when I can clear out my schedule to actually learn that thing.
Thank you, as always, for reading.
Leave me a comment if you need to ask me anything — I’ll reply. Eventually.